Entry #2 How to "Home Studio"- Getting Started
How to "Home Studio" -Getting Started
In recent years, it has become more and more common for producers, engineers, and even artists to have home studios.
I bet you're wondering, "But what should I buy" or "Which Microphone, interface, or headphones should I get" well, I'll tell you! It all depends on what you plan to do in your home studio; in my case, and like many others looking to build a home studio, the use of my studio is for beat writing and recording vocals. Sooo... you would need a microphone that is great for vocals.
The microphone that I would say is the best for home studios that won't break the bank is the MXL 990.
The MXL 990 is a Large-diaphragm solid-state condenser, meaning it will need Phantom power(which powers condenser microphones, often labeled as 48v.) with a cardioid pattern with a frequency response of 30hz-20khz. Listed at $99.95 on Sweetwater, it's an excellent beginner microphone for starters. Still, if you would like a more professional, affordable microphone that will bump up your vocal recordings to a new level, I recommend Neumann TLM 103.
The Neumann TML 103 Is also a large-diaphragm solid-state condenser with a cardioid pattern with a frequency response from 20hz-20khz. This mic will also need the use of Phantom Power order to use it. Listed at Around $1195.00 and although the more expensive option, It is well worth the small investment. Used in professional recordings and trusted by artists like JCole, Tyler the Creator, and Billie Eilis,h this Solid state condenser is one to keep an eye on.
With your new microphone, you would now need an interface to use the sed microphone. The one most recommended to Beginners is the Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen, either the solo version or the 2i2. The difference between the two is that the Solo only has one mic in and out, and the 2i2 has 2 Neutrik combo inputs meaning both XLR and 1/4 in-line input and 1 headphone output and 1 stereo output.
Both function about the same, but the signal quality Scarlett 2i2 wins it if you are multitracking on a session. The price listing on Sweetwater is $119 for the Scarlett Solo and $179 for the Scarlett 2i2.
The last essential thing you need is a pair of Studio Headphones. When it comes to Studio headphones, you have two types of studio headphones, Open-back, and closed-back headphones.
For Open-back headphones, I would recommend the AKG K240. Great if you don't have a pair of Studio Monitors, it will give a more natural feel when mixing your session. These headphones are comfortable and designed to be worn for extended periods. Used to allow airflow through the back side of the drivers making the sound feel more precise and more spacious than the closed-back counterparts. Listed for $55, these open-back headphones are both high quality and affordable.
Although it might seem like a lot, we are only hitting the tip of the iceberg with the beginnings of creating a home studio. We still have room isolation for the use of different DAWs (Digital Art Workstation) one might use and how to mix. Using some of the equipment I've talked about, you will be able to have your own studio at your fingertips whenever you want.





Thank you for these personal recommendations on the post. I am hoping to one day make a small studio with equipment near tier to these for creating/editing video games as well as streaming for fun on the side, and genuinely look forward to more potential insights if you were to ever add another post like this later on in the semester.
ReplyDeleteI've put in some thought into making a small studio, but not for anything music wise. It'd be nice to have a studio for anything that I do on my computer. a mic would be nice for gaming and a headset also for gaming, and potentially for video editing whenever I begin on that. I appreciate the recommendations and will definitely look into them even if they're not specifically for gaming.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is amazing how much technology has advanced. Like you said, professional recording can be done in some ones bedroom. I have messed around with apps, like Bandlab, that offer an easy way to mix vocals. However, It is really difficult. I will definitely look at your suggestions if I want to take things up a level. A question I have is: How quickly does equipment become out of date? To elaborate, how often would you say you have to buy new and improved equipment?
ReplyDelete